Want to find out more about fostering? Here are the next steps.
- Call a foster agency and make an initial enquiry.
- They will invite you to an open evening to learn more.
- A social worker will come to your home for an initial visit to talk it through in more detail and do some checks as to your suitability.
- You will be invited to a two-day Skills to Foster training course during which you can start the application process. You’ll cover the qualities a foster carer needs, safeguarding, dealing with attachment and other issues, family contact and behaviour patterns around that.
- It takes 6-9 months to become a foster carer.
This is the final installment of our 5-part guide to foster caring. To read the rest of the guide click here
Achieving for Children is a social enterprise company created by the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames and the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames to provide their children's services. To find out more click here
For support on fostering contact New Family Social, the charity for LGBT adoption and fostering: www.newfamilysocial.org.uk